It has been more than a decade since venture capitalist Marc Andreessen declared that Software is eating the world. She was more than right. Businesses of all sizes are now leveraging on-premises, business, and cloud applications to power their digital businesses.
Yet the economics of cloud and web-based applications have also created a world where companies often don’t have enough time to test and secure all of their code. Hackers certainly see all those apps as prime targets for attack. But those application security challenges also present a new opportunity for MSSPs. In fact, intelligent security service providers are driving ongoing vulnerability management, according to Undefeated CEO Michael George.
George certainly knows the service provider market well. He previously partnered with the private equity firm Summit Partners to review, build and scale Continuum, a provider of Managed Network Operations Center (NOC), Security Operations Center (SOC), and Remote Monitoring and Management (RMM) software for MSPs in the SMB industry. George further scaled Continuum when the business switched to The property of Thomas Bravo in 2017 before merged into ConnectWise in October 2019.
Ongoing Application Vulnerability Management: Scaling the Business for Customers and MSSPs
Fast-forward to today, and George has been aboard Invicti since late 2021. The journey so far has included hiring key executive leaders who previously held key positions at companies like Mime, fast7, RSA Y sumo logic. It’s more, Gerhard Watzinger — known for his influence on crowdstrike Y SaberBe4 — has joined as president.
But where exactly is Invicti headed next, and what are the potential vulnerability management implications for MSSPs and CISOs? Michael George provides answers in this MSSP Alert video interview:
Perspectives on Michael George: What the Interview Covers
The interview covers five chapters:
- Chapter 1: Presentations
- Chapter 2: Summary of each security wave
- Chapter 3: The rise of continuous vulnerability management
- Chapter 4: Expanding the Invicti Team for Clients and Partners
- Chapter 5: Invicti’s journey ahead with MSSP and CISO
Here’s a minute-by-minute summary:
Chapter 1: Presentations
- 0:36 – Looking back (Continuum recap for MSPs) and looking forward (where the market is headed with Invicti for MSSPs and CISOs).
- 1:42 – Summit Partners and Invicti: The business relationship.
- 2:15 – Understand platform changes around cloud and ubiquitous applications, and related cyber requirements.
- 3:37 – Understand dynamic application security testing.
- 4:01 – As Marc Andressen predicted: software ate the world. Now what that means for security.
Chapter 2: Tracking Every Security Wave
- 4:25 – Wave 1 – Infrastructure Security: What Companies Have Spent on Security, So Far.
- 5:10 – Wave 2- Human Security: Explaining the rise and evolution of phishing attacks.
- 5:47 – Wave 3- Application Security: The goal that MSSPs and CISOs must now protect.
- 6:35 – How the development of ubiquitous applications triggered new security needs.
- 7:25 – What the ubiquity of websites means for application security issues.
- 7:58: The race to redeploy everything to the cloud and the security implications.
- 8:36 – Put all that together and cybercriminals have ample opportunities.
- 8:55 – How COVID and working from home further complicated cyber matters.
Chapter Three: The Rise of Continuous Vulnerability Management
- 11:01 – Preparing MSSPs to offer continuous vulnerability management: What that means for customers and service providers.
Chapter Four: Expanding the Invicti Team for Clients and Partners
- 14:28 – The Invicti Team: Hires of key executives and teams, including ex-executives from Mimecast, Rapid7, RSA, Sumo Logic and more.
- 5:03pm: Cyber pioneer Gerhard Watzinger, known for his influence on CrowdStrike, KnowBe4 and McAfee, joins as chairman.
Chapter 5: Invicti’s journey ahead with MSSP and CISO
- 18:35- Understand Dynamic Application Security Testing (DAST).
- 20:55 – Supporting the needs of Shift Right and Shift Left clients.
- 21:55 – CISOs can do it their way: Consume Invictic directly or through an MSSP.
- 23:04 – MSSPs are the fastest growing segment of Invicti’s business.
- 23:22 – A consumption model of learning, trying and buying.
- 24:49 – How to differentiate yourself as an MSSP: Test for application vulnerabilities.
- 25:12 – Gartner Magic Quadrant: Challenger Position, Market Growth, and Company Growth
- 26:17 – The ultimate meaning of Invicti and finding the company online.
- 27:21 – Conclusion.