Organization: Welthungerhilfe (WHH)
Location: Idlib/Al Dana, SYRIA
Contract details: 12 months (Full Time) / consulting contract.
Start: As soon as possible
Application closing date: 02/07/2022
Welthungerhilfe is a private, non-profit, politically independent and non-denominational organization that supports people living in poverty and deprivation, regardless of the color of their skin, their religious beliefs or their worldview. WHH is working in the fields of development cooperation and humanitarian aid, humanitarian aid, rehabilitation and reconstruction.
Welthungerhilfe has been operating within Syria since 2017 remotely from the regional office in Gaziantep/Turkey through implementing partners. WHH has also been implementing projects directly inside Syria since 2018.
Welthungerhilfe opened an office in A’zaz, Syria in 2018 to begin direct implementation of projects in the fields of humanitarian emergency response and relief aid. Since then, Welthungerhilfe has distributed food, food and hygiene baskets and agricultural vouchers to IDP camps in A’zaz. Welthungerhilfe aims to sustain humanitarian aid projects and increase the resilience of internally displaced people in the region.
Description of tasks:
Under the direct supervision of the Syria Manager/Security Officer, the Security Assistant provides efficient and effective support to WHH’s activities, staff and assets in the Syria office; In particular:
Reports/Collection and sharing of information
- Establish and maintain a network of security contacts that includes (but is not limited to) local authorities (specifically the police, military and local government where applicable), the UN, NGOs and civil society groups.
- Write WHH security reports/updates as requested by immediate supervisor.
- Update the Incident Tracking Database for Syria as needed and share “lessons learned”
- Make sure incident reports are typed correctly and submitted in a timely manner.
- Attend and actively participate in all relevant external meetings in the area.
- Attend and actively participate in internal WHH meetings as needed.
- Conduct regular field safety monitoring visits to existing WHH project locations.
- Conduct site/field safety assessments for potential needs in project areas and make safety-related recommendations.
- Conduct basic safety and security training for staff, including first aid and use of fire extinguishers.
Policies and procedures
- Assist in drafting and review of security-related SOPs and policy documents.
- Help keep the Context Analysis and Risk Matrix updated
Vehicle Security and Movement Control
- Make sure vehicles have the proper equipment.
- Make sure the vehicles are appropriate for the conditions.
- Make sure drivers have the proper training related to safety and security.
- Track field trips with regular communications checks.
- Ensure that safe shelters and medical facilities are identified on all routes used by staff.
- Ensure that WHH offices are properly secured and housing for international staff meets minimum standards.
- Establish and maintain password and access control protocols
- Make sure firefighting equipment is well maintained and staff are trained in its use.
- Ensure a safe room is designated and hibernation stock is in place
- Any other relevant function that is requested by the immediate boss.
Education: Bachelor’s degree or relevant vocational training
Work experience: Minimum 3 years of work experience with an INGO/NGO.
Skills: A detailed understanding of the Syrian security, political, socio-economic and cultural context (especially the control of different areas by multiple state and non-state armed actors)
Personality Requirements: Ability to integrate into a cross-cultural team, hard-working, good communication skills, ability to motivate and develop the skills of others, attentive to detail, cooperative, ability to work calmly under difficult conditions, and sometimes stressful, availability to spend a good part of the time working in the field
Language skills: Fluency in English and Arabic (written and spoken) is required. Proven English language reporting skills and the ability to provide analysis on the security context are a plus. Turkish would be an added bonus.
While working at Welthungerhilfe, the Security Assistant is required to keep all information obtained in the course of their work confidential and may not disclose it to any third party without the express prior consent of the Country Director or the designated HoP.
How to apply
Interested candidates are requested to submit their application, including most recent CV with a cover letter, to the WHH online recruitment system using the following link:
The CV must include information on education, professional experience and contact details (name, email, phone number).
Only shortlisted candidates will come into contact. Welthungerhilfe reserves the right to fill the position before the deadline due to urgency.